What is an appropriate response for a friend who experienced a miscarriage?
It is a difficult thing to lose a baby to a miscarriage. The road to recovery comes through a season of grief.
We all express our grief and sorrow differently. Each person moves through the stages of grief at their own pace. A symbol to represent the passing of the child may help some couples while others will benefit from a support group.
A helpful response is three fold:
- Share with her and the would be father that you are sorry for their loss.
- Make yourself available to listen if the couple would like this.
- Pray for her and the would be father.
Being a friend means allowing others to express their emotions without judging or treating a person as a project. In Scripture we are promised the comfort of God's Holy Spirit.
- Matthew 5:4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." (NASB)
- Psalms 34:18 "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted, And saves those who are crushed in spirit." (NASB)
Hannah's Prayer Ministries
Christian Support For Fertility Challenges
Pregnancy Loss and Infant Death
Resources for parents suffering the death of their premature child
Prepared By: Ron Piggott
Return to the Life's Questions Index